Monday, August 01, 2011

Are You an Air Church Member?

I had flipped the radio to a country music station but forgot that I had done that. The music was mindlessly playing in the background. Suddenly I heard an interview with a group that had a song playing on this station. It sounded like "Air Church". 


Hmmmm...I'd never heard of them...So I looked down at the XM Radio screen and it said "Eric Church"  Ahhh yes! I was on a country station. I remembered now.


But it got me thinking!!!


Air Church. Like air guitar, right?


Many people play air guitar. They hold their hands like they have an invisible guitar and they move their fingers on one hand like they are playing chords and strum the invisible strings with the other hand. It really 'looks' like they are playing the guitar and I'm sure they "hear" the music in their head. Hand them a real guitar and they have no idea what to do or how to make real music come out of it.


I think many people play "air church" as well. They learn all the motions. They learn all the right words to say. They know when to show up at the right place at the right time. Yet they do not know the real Reason for church. Hand them a Bible and they have no idea what to do with it or how to get something out of it. They play church just like the air guitarist plays his 'music'.


Little Lesson Life Expression
When we attend Church, are we attending in true corporate worship, praising the One who made us and lived and died for us? Or are we going through the motions, seeing whose there and who sees us? Are we willing to give up our air church for real worship?


Psalm 22:24-16 (The Message)
 22-24 Here's the story I'll tell my friends when they come to worship,
      and punctuate it with Hallelujahs:
   Shout Hallelujah, you God-worshipers;
      give glory, you sons of Jacob;
      adore him, you daughters of Israel.
   He has never let you down,
      never looked the other way
      when you were being kicked around.
   He has never wandered off to do his own thing;
      he has been right there, listening.

 25-26 Here in this great gathering for worship
      I have discovered this praise-life.
   And I'll do what I promised right here
      in front of the God-worshipers.
   Down-and-outers sit at God's table
      and eat their fill.
   Everyone on the hunt for God
      is here, praising him.
   "Live it up, from head to toe.
      Don't ever quit!"


1 comment:

Tnorvell said...

I just started reading your posts and following you on here. I found you through my cousin who posted one of your posts on fb. I have to say that this post really hit home for me today. It was exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you for sharing this with all of us!

Tabitha