Saturday, August 06, 2011

Is It Just A Penny?

Did you know that Mickey D's sells any size drink for just $1? With tax, here locally, that comes to $1.08.


Did you also know they have pretty good sweet tea?


Well, for a while I picked up this (perhaps bad) habit of stopping and getting a large sweet tea on my way to work each morning. To make it easier to move through the drive-through line, I carefully counted out $1.08 which I withdrew from my change bowl. I then placed this money in my cup holder until I got to the restaurant window after ordering. Time to pay...dump the contents of the holder into my hand and pay the cashier.


One morning I carefully counted out my $1.08, got in the car, looked in the holder....and saw a penny laying there. The ONLY time I put money in this holder is when I'm going to use that money to pay for my tea. That meant the penny had to have been from the day before. I must have accidentally shortchanged the cashier.


Now "normally" I go to the same Mickey D's each time. However, the day before...they day I must have made this mistake...I went to a different one. The one I normally go to had an extremely long line so I went to the next one along my route. As an FYI, I have at least three to choose from between my house and work.


So what to do now? 


It's just a penny, right? And several times, before I had started counting my money out each morning, I had paid with a dollar and a dime and told them to put it in the charity thingy. 


If I go to the Mickey D's I normally go to and say "Hey, here's $1.09. I shorted the other store a penny yesterday" they'd go, "HUH?" and it wouldn't help balance their books anyway.  


Would the other store really care if I take them their missing penny? It's just a penny, right?


I knew the struggle wasn't about the income of the restaurant chain. The struggle was about something we don't talk about much anymore. The struggle was about right and wrong. The right thing to do, since I was stopping at "a" Mickey D's anyway, was to take the lonely penny to it's rightful owner.


No one would ever have known if I had chosen to do nothing. 


No one...no one but...no one but me...no one but me and...me and my Loving Lord.


I knew the right thing to do and I had a choice to make. 


A) Do I go the easy way and stop at the store I normally stop at and just keep the penny? It's just a penny, right?


B) Do I go the almost easy way and stop at the store I normally stop at and give them the penny with or without an explanation? 


C) Do I go to the other store, order my tea, give them $1.09, and say "There's an extra penny. I think I shortchanged y'all yesterday when I was here?" leaving the poor cashier completely confused?


I'll take option C, please.


It's just a penny but it's a penny that didn't belong to me. Until this moment, only me and my Loving Lord knew this happened and only me and my Loving Lord knew what I did. I did go to the other store. I did pay $1.09 that day. I did tell the cashier about short-changing them the day before. I don't know what our Loving Lord may do with that. I don't know if a small act of integrity will impact the life of a drive-through cashier. But I do know that I know that I took one opportunity to do the right thing and I believe my Loving Lord will honor that.


Little Lessons Life Expression
What small decisions are you facing today? Will you take the easy way out or will you do the right thing? Will you trust our Loving Lord to use your faithfulness to Him and your integrity to possibly touch another life? Will you be faithful in the little things?




Matthew 25:23 (Amplified Bible)

23His master said to him, Well done, you upright (honorable, admirable) and faithful servant! You have been faithful and trustworthy over a little; I will put you in charge of much. Enter into and share the joy (the delight, the blessedness) which your master enjoys.





No comments: