Sunday, September 16, 2012

Little Lesson: What Happens When a Door Closes?

You know the saying well. We all do. Go ahead, finish it.

"When God closes a door, He _____ ___ _____."

What was your answer? Was it "opens a window" or "opens another one"?

This week another answer came to me. Are you ready?

When God closes a door, He has a reason.

He has a reason. He knows His will for your life. And, yes, that reason might be that He's preparing to open a window or another door for you.

But I ask you, might it be that He has you right where you need to be? Might it be that you don't need an open door or window at that point in your life? Might it be that you still have lessons to learn from your current situation or that you still have opportunities to minister to those around you?

Too often we try to encourage people who are disappointed or discouraged by giving them platitudes. Even well-intentioned, Biblically based, platitudes can be inappropriate. 

How often have you tried to console someone with one of these....?

  • I know it's hard. We've all been there.
  • You're strong. God won't give you more than you can handle.
  • You can't see it now but it will all work out.
  • I don't know why you're going through this but everything happens for a reason.
Little Lesson Life Expression
Will you try to avoid platitudes and cliches of comfort for the next 30 days? When someone shares a hurt with you, will you focus on what they are sharing with you and seriously, immediately, pray with them for God's guidance and direction? Will you put your love into action and follow-through with them a few days later by phone or in-person to see how they are doing?

Psalms 119:105, 107(The Message)

 By your words I can see where I’m going;
    they throw a beam of light on my dark path.
 Everything’s falling apart on me, God;
    put me together again with your Word.

Jeremiah 29:11 (The Message)
I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out -- plans to take care of you, not to abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.





No comments: